Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tired!

This past weekend, I decided to beef up my veggie/herb garden. So I bought a couple more plants and put some organic fertilizer on them.

It's been a struggle, the dogs (I suspect both) seem to love the fertilizer and my poor plants keep getting unearth. I started out with a 3 foot fence, our dogs are medium size so I figured it would be enough to deter them from jumping over. I haven't seen any signs of digging but I started to notice the fence becoming warped.

Monday morning as I'm getting ready for work, I look out at my newly re-re-planted plants and notice some have been dug up again, I decided to head over to Home Depot and put an end to it. Realizing that the Australian cattle dog* genes in our dogs may be more pronounced, I decided to beef up the fence to 5ft (I wasn't messing around). I get home and go to town installing the new and improved plant prison. I get ready and rush into work.

When Carlos gets home, he thinks it looks ugly (too exaggeratedly too big) and asks me "how are you going to get in?" Of course I knew it would be a big problem, you see the fence is now attached to sturdier 5ft. posts and I used zip ties to secure the fencing to posts. It's indestructible!

He kindly offers to put a door in for me so that I can get in and out of the area. We head to Home Depot, buy more materials, get home - start digging holes for the posts, cutting the wood, screwing it in, stapling the fencing to it -- we finally finish closer to 10pm.

I'm hoping this keeps them out - otherwise, I may not have a garden.

http://www.cattledog.com/misc/intro.html
*The Australian Cattle Dog personality is often reserved with strangers and even FIERCELY protective when they perceive that their property and/or persons are being threatened. The ACD is intelligent, but can certainly often be described as hard-headed and stubborn. Once an ACD has befriended you, they are a friend for life (Ripi has too much memory loss, we have to work on that with her). Owners often refer to them as "velcro" or "shadow" dogs...because wherever you go, there they are!! (that's definitely Ripi) A bored Cattle Dog is a destructive Cattle Dog!! ACDs make excellent running or biking companions (that's why they leave me behind)

I guess we're going back to morning and evening walks!

4 comments:

Abel said...

did you try the milk jugs full of agua?

twopennycents said...

hilarious. it's funny to imagine you trying to climb over a 5 ft. fence.

Erick & Norma said...

I want to see pictures!! I would try abel's suggestion...but, does that even really work?

Ambitious Crafter said...

I promise, will post pictures this weekend. My herbs and plants are all alive and doing well. I think the jugs full of water only work on cats (cause they have little brains?) My dogs are too stubborn and ambitious - the fence and gate are working out NICELY!