Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Back to Gardening

This past Saturday I finally devoted some hours to my garden.

I started at 7am (before it got too hot) and wrapped up by 3:30pm. (Granted, I took a lunch break and hit up the nursery during that time). But it was all worth it.

Initially, my garden expansion project was put on hold because we really wanted to install some drain lines and sprinklers. But I just couldn't wait. So I started my morning, manually tilling the soil - dang that was a work out especially since I had some stubborn crab grass growing in and our dirt is more like a clay. Then I mixed in some good soil and kept tilling. (At end of day, I could barely hold my fork during dinner).

But I did plant some sweet new additions to the garden.
  • red onion
  • yellow onion
  • broccoli
  • red cabbage
  • cilantro
  • cauliflower
  • bronze leaf lettuce
  • romaine lettuce
  • strawberries
  • asparagus
I've run out of room believe it or not, but I still need to put in some potatoes (sweet potatoes) and more greens (like green beans) :D I also scored at the nursery some sweet gardening tools, they happen to be in the .99 clearance bin (versus Home Depot $7 each). I will post pictures shortly!

During Christmas break I'm going to build myself a cold frame (http://www.doityourself.com/stry/oldwindowuses). Cold frame offers a comfortable environment for less hardy plants through the colder months. So I'll be able to grow more plants from seed and not have to keep them on my kitchen counter, I can put them outside to maximize the natural sunlight!

I also came across this helpful website: http://www.thebayougardener.com/ he's also on you tube.

2 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

Dang, I would need like 5 million of those Aerogardens to even try to compete with what you've got going! Good job, sounds like a lot of work, but I am sure you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor :-)

Lynn said...

Wow. You are talented in many ways! What a fabulous garden.