Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving X3

On Sunday we were invited to our friends annual Thanksgiving (#1) dinner. He made the turkey with some family favorites (Ruthmary's potatoes, mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach, rolls, gravy, cranberries, etc.). We bought the mac n' cheese (which was really tasty and if you need a recipe, let me know - we found a winner :D) and some candied yams (using my mother in laws famous recipe with rum). We feasted but managed to keep thing under control because we had to save room for the real Thanksgiving on Thursday!

Tuesday night and partially on Wednesday - it rained. I'm not complaining, we need all the rain we can get out here and it helps to water our lawn and veggie garden. But since I was responsible for cooking the turkey at my in-laws place on Thursday. (If you need an easy, good turkey recipe - let me know, I'm a pro!) We decided to drive out to the desert on Wednesday night. We hit hard rain, ended up driving at 50 mph or slower in some areas. It took us about 2.5 hours to get there. Needless to say, we were exhausted.

Thursday (#2) morning we got up bright and early, prepared the two 10lbs butterballs (the best turkeys in town) and started on the sides. We were done cooking by noon. Ate no later than 2:30pm. I took a nap while the rest watched Tropic Thunder and we later played scrabble until the wee hours of the morning. I think we all agree, we really should get the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.

The next morning, we headed back early since we had signed-up to volunteer at the Mission Viejo Float -- for the Rose Parade in Pasadena. To Carlos' dismay, we didn't work directly on the floats, we were cutting down yellow mums that would be used on the float. But it was fun and I was thankful it was only a 2 hour commitment. Here are some snap shots!


Later that evening, we headed to my parents house for Thanksgiving (#3). I made some salmon with herbs (something a little different) with more mac n' cheese (but with whole wheat pasta -not as tasty) and more candied yams. My sister brought over the turkey with all the fixings. Again it was a feast for the eyes! There was so much good food. We managed to keep portions small because it was our third Thanksgiving and we surely don't want to end up on THE BIGGEST LOSER.

This Thanksgiving, we're most thankful for our families and friends. We wouldn't be here without your love and support!

I think next year, we really need to re-think our 3 Thanksgiving dinners game plan:D

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I think you should go ahead and post the mac n cheese recipe. Sounds good.

Erick & Norma said...

I agree with Lynn, please post the mac n cheese recipe :)