Tuesday, December 2, 2008

San Dimas Turkey Trot (10k)


Sunday was an early morning, we picked up our friend Jean and headed to San Dimas for Renegade Racing's annual Turkey Trot at the Frank Bonelli Regional Park (http://parks.co.la.ca.us/frank_rpark.html). Carlos and I hadn't run this course before and because of the rain, they reconfigured the route. So we really didn't know what to expect. This was also Jean's first race!

As we passed the starting line and encountered our first hill, we realized fairly quickly that this was not going to be a flat course. Carlos took off like speedy gonzales (as always).

Our strategy on the other hand was to save ourselves for the big FINISH :D We ran/walked the whole course. There was paved roads, dirt trails, mud trails (almost swamps), moderate/steep inclines. You felt the Turkey day calories melt away.

As we wrapped up the first mile we had to make an impromptu pit stop -- of all people to be running a race, you have the two people that have bad feet and require orthotics :D I had my new and improved ones on, Jean unfortunately had some over the counter - Dr. Scholls that were causing more harm than good. Once they were removed, she did better. As we headed to the half way point, I was about to stop at what I thought was a water station but it turned out to be the hangout for the local gang affiliated (noted by their tattoos and clothing) oldies car club. As we approached, we saw hynas with big hair seated in their fold out chairs, the homies chit chatting about their wheels. At this point, Jean and I were pretty close to being last, so I suggested that we kick it into high gear and as we zoomed we were embraced by a cloud of too much cologne and cigarettes.

At the 6th mile, we were finally approaching the finish line, I knew Jean was fading fast. So I pulled a Jillian (from Biggest Loser) on her and told her if she didn't speed it up I was going to drag her in by her hair. I think it worked cause she finished together:D Our time was 1 hour 33 minutes. Jean did wonderfully, she's a trooper for having done a 10k for her first race ever. We met up with Carlos and went to get our shirts, unfortunately - they ran out. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Upcoming races: The Santa Run (Irvine) only the 5K, we did the 10K last year.

Check us out: http://orderpicture.com/shop_addtocart.php3?event_cat=006.opc&client=byr_7608681798&event=TURKEY_TRI_AND_TROT_2008_BIB_900-1599&image=000553.jpg&password=

3 comments:

twopennycents said...

orthotics, cholos, hair pulling?? sounds more "born in east l.a." hilarious.

Lynn said...

Reading this brings back painful memories still fresh in my mind from my 10K a few weeks back. THere is another one this Sat and I hope I can muster up the will to participate.

And by the way, we sent an evite to carlos' email address for a get together we want to have, I think I have yours too so I'll resend it.

Erick & Norma said...

I love that you provide so much description and give attention to the details, I can see it all as if I was there....That's pretty funny