Friday, January 16, 2009

'Aha!' Moment

I feel accomplished this week -- I've been waking up early to attend my running class (M/W/F) and I even woke up early on (T/TH) to just get use to being up early in general. Granted, I could be sleeping a little bit more, 4:50am is pretty brutal but I'm trying to stay positive and motivated.

Monday (1st day) - we did our timed mile and some sprints
Wednesday (2nd day) - we did an "easy day" {but to me it felt like a regular hard day} she had us play 'follow the leader', run up stairs, run up hills, jump rope while running. Let me tell you - it's not as easy as you would think.
And I was starting to realize -- why aren't the other 3 women in the session as winded as me???? I know I'm overweight but they are no skinny minnies, if you know what I'm saying.
This particular day, I came home in PAIN. My legs were on FIRE! They felt like heavy pillars of concrete......
Friday (today) - we had hill training, boy was that hard - we ran up hills, climbed up stairs at least a dozen times, sprinted up hills, it was insane but I had my "aha!" moment when I asked one of my running mates --- is this your first time or have you taken this course before?.......

What came out of her mouth floored me -- apparently ALL the women that I've met so far have been doing this running camp (some longer than others) for some time. It was bittersweet, I was thinking to myself -- no wonder I'm dying but then again I'm never too far behind, I've been forcing myself to stay in the pack. So I guess I'm doing pretty well by keeping up with these semi-pros. But I still sound like a vacuum cleaner with a hair ball stuck in it's hose. I'm usually sucking up air like no body's business - so I'll have work on that :D

No comments: