Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tamales for Sale

A cuban friend married to a mexican, asked me for a big favor "Can you teach me how to make tamales". I personally don't think they're difficult, just a lot of work. So of course I said "YES".

We started off our day at the local "mexican" mercado - Superior in Santa Ana, bought the masa [20 lbs of regular masa, 6 lbs of strawberry masa, and 14 of pineapple masa] and some hojas (corn husks).

We got home and started prepping the fillings (Chicken with red sauce, Beef with red sauce and Raja [chile with cheese]). Kat stopped by for lunch, Carlos made us all some delicious tortas and she decided to stick around for the lesson.

As they worked on the savory tamales, I started up on the sweet ones. I made strawberry and chocolate tamales, Pineapple with fruit center, Pineapple with raisins and coconut. All extremely flavorful and fluffy.

Later that week, as I'm getting my hair done and my stylist tells me that William Sonoma is SELLING tamales. I can't believe it, so I decided to investigate for myself. It's true, check out the link ....... http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/4449336/index.cfm?clg=32&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=FRO&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default And they're selling 1 dozen (12 tamales) for $54 + $10 shipping. So it comes out to $5.33 each tamale and people actually buy them.

So it's settled - if you need tamales or know people that want to get tamales from a clean, reliable, cook , I'm selling TAMALES ......just give me a week's notice :D

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm sad we missed seeing you guys at Christmas time and even more sad I didn't get to try your chocolate (and other) tamales!

Ambitious Crafter said...

I can always fedex some, let me figure out the logistics and I'll try to work my magic! Or I might just hand deliver some -- Seattle has a 1/2 marathon I've been eye balling!