Monday, April 20, 2009

Cooking & Eating

I've been busy in the kitchen experimenting. I've never been a big meat eater. I eat chicken and fish primarily, hardly ever eat red meat unless it's a special occasion. But I've never been one to crave it. I remember when I was in high school my sister was vegetarian. It worked for the most part, since we weren't a meat and potatoes type of family. I guess that's where I was first introduced to it.

With all this talk of eating organically and conscious eating, etc.... I've started to venture out into alternative cuisines. Gillian McKeith's Book - You are what you eat (also has a show on BBC America) is so insightful. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way becoming a vegetarian - I love food to much. I'm just becoming a more informed eater. McKeith introduces parts of the macrobiotic diet but isn't so extreme.

Things I've started to do:
1. Grow veggies & herbs (introduce them at most of my meals)
2. Eat more veggies and fruit
3. Eat more non-animal proteins (nuts, legumes, lentils)
4. Eat more times a day - so I don't stuff myself at dinner
5. Shop organic (farmer's markets, local markets, etc.) stay away from processed food
6. Reduce sugar in-take or fried foods
7. Say no to refined processed flour (sticking with whole grains/wheat)
8. Trying new things (Mediterranean lentil salad, juicing, veggie salad)

Carlos hasn't complained, he's found some of the stuff surprisingly good :D

So far so good, I'm eating more and I don't feel stuffed. I benefit is that I have more energy and feel revitalized.

3 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

Never been a big red meat eater either. These are good things to keep in mind. Now I'm craving some grilled veggies for some reason :P

Lynn said...

The cookbook - Flexitarian Table is a good one I've found. I got it at the library here. Half of the authors family is vegetarian and half not.. I think he might cook in a veg rest. too..

Malena's Originals said...

I'll have to look up Flexitarian Table! Thanks for the tip :D