Monday, April 20, 2009

Let's get physical, physical ......

I'm still doing my running camp. It's now a Tues/Thurs/Fri., affair - still at 5:30am. I've become a better runner, I've learned to pace myself and feel like I've come a long way. I've also lost some weight thanks to all this activity and my newly adopted eating habits. Before I was moving but I felt like I had a ton of bricks on my back and midsection, as the weight comes off I do feel faster. And my body is more use to it!

This time around, our coach is focusing on hill training, intervals, and fartleks. My friday run with the girls without the coach are easy runs and the last two weeks I've been able to add some mileage.

May 3rd - Carlos is running the PCRF (pediatric cancer research foundation) Cinco de Mayo 1/2 Marathon with me. It's the first 1/2 I plan to run the whole way - so I need to beef up my mileage. We're only a couple of weeks away and I doubt I'll be in tip top shape but I'm determined to finish it under my 3 hour walking time. Since my expectations are low - I'm sure I'll be exceeding my goal.

June 7th - I'm running the Iron Girl in Del Mar 10k. I did a walk/run at the 5k last year and finished in good time. I know it's going to be HOT but I figured I have 90 minutes to finish the race. That should be plenty of time - even if I walk. I like this race not only because it's a women's only competition but you get a sweet medal, technical t-shirt, and breakfast :D

The following week - June 14th - I'm going to disneyland!!!! I just signed up to do Trek's all women Dualthlon (run 1.5 miles, bike 10 miles, run 2 miles). It's an inaugural event capped at 2,000 participants. Being it's my first duathlon, I do have some reservations but I've started training. I have 8 weeks to get my butt use to my bike seat again.....the running is a piece of cake :D http://www.trekwomenstriathlonseries.com

1 comment:

Erick & Norma said...

I love the name of your post, but now I have that song stuck in my head!

Great job, Maria! That's awesome that you've been able to continue with the running camp. You inspire me!!