Monday, February 23, 2009

Vegetables

I'm elbow deep in the harvest (well for most of my crops). Things we've eaten: lots of cilantro, oregano, rosemary, broccoli, romaine, and bronze leaf lettuce. Still pending: white cauliflower, purple cabbage, artichokes.

We're lucky due to the consistent rain my plants are loving it! And we've been bug free (for the most part). But yesterday as I was weeding noticed that my purple cabbage has a new "friend". It looks like little purple/transparent cells. I know it's a fungi (I think). So I started to research
organic pesticide.

I found one that was garlic based but when it asked for fish emulsion - I knew I was in trouble. First of all, I don't even know where I'd find it, secondly my dogs would be garden in record time, trying to figure out what the funk was all about. I rather not. This is what I've found so far. Some sound pretty easy!

Soap Spray:
Another way to stop the slugs is with soapy water. That's right, you can just use your old, dirty dishwater! Collect some of the water in a pan and pour it into a watering can or even use a pitcher to pour it over the plants. This works really well on hostas and mums, but also can be used on other hardy plants. Many bugs do not like their lunch spoiled by a soapy aftertaste! For a stronger solution, mix 3 Tablespoons of liquid detergent into a gallon of water, I prefer Dawn, but any will do. Use this weekly.

Alcohol Spray:
This spray really is great for houseplants. This especially works on meal bugs.
1/2 cup of alcohol
2-3 tablespoons of dry laundry soap
1 quart of warm water
Mix all ingredients and spray immediately. You don't have to let this set, but you can't store it either. This solution must be made fresh for each use.

Salt Spray: (this is the one I need - I think)
This solution is used for cabbageworms and spider mites.
2 tablespoons of salt
1 gallon of water
Just mix and spray!

Garlic Spray:
Garlic spray is great for getting rid of cutworms, wireworms, whiteflies, and slugs too.
1 garlic bulb
1 quart of water
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
Crush the garlic, mincing it fine. Add finely chopped onion to the mixture, while adding the rest of the ingredients except the soap. Wait an hour before adding the soap to the mixture. The spicy ingredients must sort of stew or steep, almost like tea. After an hour, add the soap and your non-toxic spray is ready to use! This can be stored in the fridge for a week.

Dead Bug Spray: (I would never do this but I had to post)
Another way to beat the bug problem is by taking some dead carcasses of the same insects and mixing them in water. Use one pint of water and 1/2 cup of slug carcasses.

Blend the water and insects until mixed well and then put into a plastic container or glass jar. To use this, pout into a sprayer and squirt a few drops on the affected plants. You can freeze this mixture for storage. *Beware: Do NOT use flies, ticks, fleas, or mosquitoes in this solution! These insects carry many communicable human diseases!

2 comments:

Erick & Norma said...

Can you come save my tomato plant, I think I've killed it? :(

Ambitious Crafter said...

:S I can surely pay a house visit to see if we can resuscitate.