Monday, February 23, 2009

Victorious

We've become regulars for Los Alamitos Race on the Base. It's our second year running the flattest course you could find since it's on the airbase.

It's a neat race, it starts with a 5k, then they have the in line skaters & challenged athletes, then the 10k and they just added a reverse tri (run, bike, swim).

It was exciting - we got there and the parking lots were full so we parked on the street. Then we both decided we needed to take a potty break. Good lord, people need to stop eating all those energy supplements. It was nasty - as if they got cleaned out (I'll spare you details). We waited and waited in the "shortest" line but I think those people had the most explosive bowels ever. They took so freakin' long. Carlos was getting impatient, he just kept saying "we should have stayed in the other line" (almost like a broken record).

We had just finished with the port o' potties and when they announced the start of the race. Carlos took off to warm up, I got in line and it was so packed that at the 11th hour he ended up starting way in the back. This race wasn't timed either so I really think he was much faster than what they clocked him at. He of course passed me as I proceeded to run!

I was tired, my running camp does up to 4.5 miles so doing the 6.2 miles was a stretch, now I know I need to start training for endurance in addition to speed.

The RESULTS:

2008 - took me 1 hour 18 minutes
2009 - I shaved off 18 minutes. I finished at 59.37 (I know it's accurate because Carlos bought me the Garmin Forerunner. The coolest gadget ever, GPS, mileage, calorie, pace, time tracker and heart monitor. It does everything but run).

WOOOOHOOOO mile official pace 9.35 min.

I've come a long way and I am most thankful for everyone's support and to God for allowing me to run! When I talked to my dad after the race he was so excited for us. He said "that really shows me that you're healthy - have a good heart and that your foot doesn't hurt you anymore."
:D

2 comments:

Carlos said...

good job in shaving off 18 minutes from your run :)

Ambitious Crafter said...

Thanks, it was hard work but now I'm determined to get better :D I'm far to reaching my potential! I may catch up to you????