Wednesday, March 11, 2009

OC Chili Winter Race Series #2

Brief note: check me out on the official website for the OC Chili Winter Race Series http://www.bookthatevent.com/Trail_Run/Home.html, scroll to the very bottom and you'll see a picture. I'm the awkward runner on the left hand side wearing a long sleeve green shirt with black shorts. I appear to have stick straight legs, which I blame on the creek we were having to cross. Race #1 was done on a cold rainy day, I think I was trying to figure out a way to minimize getting my shoes wet. So much for that - I got soaked and as I continued on my merry way, I was making squish, squash noises. Luckily, I wasn't alone!

This past Saturday, Carlos and I did the second race in the series. Since we got rained out for the 1st race (that route was modified and we ran primarily on paved trails) this time around we ended up hitting the hills. Carlos as always wanted to start at the front of the pack, since my left knee was tender and my right foot was being itself - I decided to take it nice and slow. I ended up runing/walking with Tom & Heather - husband and wife team that are members of OC Trail Runners. We started out of the gates in a moderate running pace, we inch over to our first hill and end up having to wait 5-10 minutes. The trail that we're suppose to be on is a single track - one person trail. So everyone pretty much had to wait their turn to start the climb. We were all clustered in various parts of the trail for at least the first mile (steep up hill) on the moderately flat and down hills we would run.

We were doing pretty good time and around the 3rd mile marker I somehow lost Tom & Heather. So I made the executive decision to start running at a moderate pace. I got to the finish line at 1 hour 8 minutes (it was 4.88 mile trail). As I kicked up my legs towards to end to propel myself to a strong finish I noticed the photog and decided to pose .... here it goes, check me out: http://orderpicture.com/index.php3?client=byr_7608681798&event=OC_CHILE_WINTER_TRAIL_RUN_2_2009&password=&start_list=72&max=91&event_cat=002.opc and here's Carlos: http://orderpicture.com/index.php3?client=byr_7608681798&event=OC_CHILE_WINTER_TRAIL_RUN_2_2009&event_cat=002.opc&password= .

Side note: not sure about you all but when I run my nose tends to run profusely, I'm use to it so I usually carry a paper towel with me to manage the mucus. So as I'm approaching the finish line, looking like a rock star (in my mind). I make it in and by the time Carlos sees me (at least 6 people see me before he does) he gives me this weird look and tells me "you have a bugger on your cheek". All I could do was wipe it in a panic and laugh. ONLY ME :S

No comments: