Monday, June 2, 2008

It's not all crafty, it's necessity!

Don't think I've moved on from my dog coat project, like countless other projects. They are still top of mind and I'm happy to report - I'm 95% there and will be finishing it shortly!

This past weekend was filled lots of activity - we finally got to complete a lot of household projects that we had pushed back for months. In order to meet all our goals, my fabulous in-laws and brothers-in-law lent us a much appreciated hand. I even gave the dogs a nice refreshing bath and we also visited with our dear friends Abel, Mirna, baby Carolina (she's too cute), and Kat.

R did better than T this time.



Our primary goal this weekend was cool the house! If you happen to live in an older home with minimal insulation, that's still very hot and stuffy. I highly recommend installing an attic fan with a solar panel. I have to admit, cutting a big hole in the roof was a bit intimidating but it was well worth it. The house feels 10 to 15 degrees cooler. Hopefully we'll notice a bigger difference when things heat up in the summer. (Home Depot: $180, cheaper online)

Generic Picture of the system we installed.


We also focused on gardening. Finally planted my herb/veggie garden. The herbs look happy but the veggies, aren't doing so hot. I had to put a fence around them because I was petting Ripi one day and her whole head smelled like Rosemary (wonder what she was up too?)

Planted: Rosemary, Tomatoes, Squash, Peas,
Carrots, Basil, Sage, Chiles, Oregano, etc.


In addition to the minor tweaks in the backyard, we continued to spruce up our front yard and added some much needed curb appeal. When we moved in, we did invest in plants, little did I know that some were seasonal, some liked shade, some preferred sun. (You learn from your mistakes.) After much reading, great advice from my dear friend Jean, and a new found appreciation for plants (and cost) we're turning a new leaf and appear to be doing just fine.

Still need to add some more,
but believe me - looks better than before.


1 comment:

Erick & Norma said...

ooh, I'll have to take some clippings from your garden next time we go for a visit. I love fresh herbs! Sounds like you had one busy weekend.