Tuesday, September 2, 2008

All I want for my b-day is a bigger garden!

I don't know what's come over me -- I can't stop obsessing over my garden. Carlos asked me what I wanted to do for my b-day. Since we're going to Mexico in October, I decided that we should put all our efforts into expanding my garden!

It's 6ft x 17ft, as we speak and after taking some key measurements I think we're widening to 16ft x 17ft. In preparation, we cut down the mature grapefruit tree. Don't worry it's not the pink kind and it was plagued. It was time to go! The tree was also shading my garden a bit too much - my veggies need SUN!

I obviously need more plants to expand my garden, a good way is to take cuttings from your existing plants and use them to propagate new plants. Check out the link for detailed info.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html
Info. on creating your own organic rooting hormone: http://rubyglen.com/houseplants/rooting_hormone.htm

I'm also looking forward to growing different veggies: sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, garlic, fingerling potatoes, etc. We'll see how we do :D

1 comment:

Erick & Norma said...

Bigger garden, more to share :-)